When buyers come to see your home, the first thing they notice is how your property looks from the curb. That first impression is powerful and lingering. If buyers don’t like what they see, it can influence how they judge the rest of your property, regardless of how great it looks on the inside.
You definitely want to do whatever you can to boost curb appeal. Here are six affordable ideas to consider:
- Drivewaysealing.Thismakesthepavementlookdarkerandless faded. It also helps cover up some of the cracks. Sealing won’t give you the “brand new” look of repaving, but it’s close — and significantly less expensive.
- Exteriorwindowwashing.Washingthefrontwindowsmakesthem look clean and bright. In fact, the effect can be stunning. There are window washing products that connect to your hose to make this job easier. Check your home improvement retailer.
- Maintainingshrubs,hedgesandflowerbeds.Trimmingthehedges, shrubs and other evergreens can make a big difference in how your property looks from the street. It’s like giving them all a haircut! Flowering plants can also brighten up the look.
- Frontdoorpainting.Fromthecurb,abuyer’seyeisnaturallydrawn to your front door. If your entry system looks old and worn, consider a fresh coat of paint. It can make the entrance look almost new.
- Garagedoorpainting.Thisisabiggerprojectthatcantakeadayor two, but the effort might be worth it. For many homes, the garage door is the biggest item in the curb appeal panorama. Making it look better will have a big impact.
- Removingunsightlyitems.Lookatyourhomefromthestreet.Are there items in your field of vision that take away from the curb appeal? For example, are there garbage cans and other items stowed along the side of the property and visible from the road? If so, move them.